Friday, October 7, 2011

Fantasy beginners




Deleted scenes from a fantasy story i tried to write. After each ~~~ means I re-start the story.

I sat still in front of my mother, Queen Charlotte, as she brushed my hair.
"Mother, why do I have to be married off?" I asked one night, my mother preparing me for dinner.
"Well, I don't want to marry you off, my child, but your father wants a suitable husband for you, the the meaning behind all of these dinners with all those dukes and princes. So he can see whom you like and he likes." Queen Charlotte pulled the silver brush through my silky mouse brown hair. 
~~~
I woke up one morning, to find that it was snowing outside. Laughing I throw open my balcony door and danced around in the falling snow. My night gown swirling around my ankles. I could feel a pair of eyes on me below. I slowly stopped twirling and looked down, a young boy as young as me, gazed up at me on his black stallion.
I found him rude as he stared at me blankly. “My lady! My lady, please come back inside!” I whipped my head around to see my servant,Kit, beckoning me to come inside. I stole a quick glance downward from my balcony before I went inside. The boy was gone.

Easing into one of my father's tunics he requested for me. I grabbed my dagger and placed it at my waist and my long bow and quivers. Meeting my instructor, Garan, I strode onto the practice field.
“Good morning, my lady.”Garan pulled out his long bow, notching in a quiver and smoothly shot it out. Hitting the dummy on the field.
“Good morning, Garan” I shot a quiver, hitting a dummy in the head, satisfied I redid another shot.
I practiced my archery even after Garan left. For pleasure I took my dagger out and flung it expertly at the dummy. It protruded into the spot its heart would be. I went up to the dummy and retrieved my dagger. Moments later an arrow took place in the slot my daggers blade was, inches from my nose.
I turned, slightly shaken and angry, to face the boy I had seen that same morning. I stode over to him, heat licking up my neck with anger. When I reached him I shot my hand out to slap him but he caught my hand effortlessly.
We stood that way for a moment too long, my wrist in his hand. I brought my fist to get him in the gut. I made contact and the next thing I knew my back is facing him and my and my arms painfully pinned to my back, chest open and vulnerable.
“You could have killed me!” I screeched, struggling against him.
“But I didn't, did I, my lady,” the boy said above me, his voice seductive, I didn't like his voice at all. His defensive skills were impressive. I took a deep breath and sighed, he didn't kill me and at least he showed some respect by it and by calling me lady. I stopped struggling and he released me.
I turned to face him, contemplating if I should attack again, he saw the plan brewing behind my eyes and shifted ever so lightly to protect himself of any further abuse to his body. I quickly rid myself of the thought, seeing that I would again be put back at his feet in anger and humiliation. I looked at him, his golden hair in his face and his gray eyes gazing upon my flushed face. His strong structure and seemingly sculpted lips were none other than perfect. This boy was impossibly handsome.
“I am princess Libbia Levington. Forgive me for my rudeness in fighting you,” I curtly said, Bowing slightly, lying through my teeth. The boy swiftly took my hand, “I am prince Matthew Creg. Forgive me for my rudeness in startling you.” he gently kissed my hand, small and slightly shaking. I could only hope that he did not notice.
“Prince?” I said, “Prince of whom?”
“Prince, my lady, of Shaddin”

I was only 10 when I met him, now I stand before a mirror in a deep purple gown. My mouse brown curls bounced and shined at my shoulders the rest atop my head. The purple dress was tight and fitted my curves perfectly, but I am still not used to all this dress up nonsense my father puts me through, so I felt a bit uncomfortable. The design on the dress was lovely and it brought out my usually frightening eyes the color of blue. A deep blue, unnatural, as some call it. Beautiful and mysterious, as Matthew said to me. I smiled and twirled in my dress.
I turn 16 today. I dances and twirled, a pair of arms gathered me, I looked up to find Prince Matthew of Shaddin readied for my party. I playfully kissed his cheek and he kisses mine. A friendly exchange.
“Why you look ravishing today, my lady,” Matthew said, spinning me.
“Oh please, my prince, you look equally as handsome as I.”
“You know that's a lie,” he growled. We laughed and I punched him in the gut and ran off listening to his laughter as he chased after me.
People were coming into my father's castle and into the Great Ballroom. Hours later Prince Matthew and I where dancing to the fast music, twirling, swinging, laughing. Many people thought us as a couple, or even lovers but really we were best friends, like sister and brother. Matthew was kicked out of his own country and he wanted to get away from his father, as far as he could get, so he came here to the Fray. My father's kingdom. My father welcomed him with open arms and treated him as his own. At first I was deeply shy and intimidated of Matthew but I warmed up and talked with him more and played with him more as we grew up.
~~~
Libby Levingtom sat on a chair on her balcony outside her bedchambers, running a silver brush through her mouse brown hair. The Autumn breeze wrapping her slender body with a welcoming chill. Libby looked out among her father's kingdom. A vacant look on her face, soon enough she will be summoned my her father's squire to remind her of the grand dinner tonight. She was not the least bit pleased with going.
“Lady?” Quipped Libby's servant Felicity.
“Yes?” Libby's pink lips moved smoothly with her voice.
“Pardon me for interrupting. I must prepare you for tonight's dinner.”Libby simly nodded, annoyed with her father's dinners. Even Libby's mother, the Queen, enjoyed it.
After being cleaned and clothed in a gorgeous gown, Libby stood in front of a mirror. Her brown hair in curls at her shoulders, some of it tied behind her head as a wreath, a deep blue jewel hung at the base of her throat, a gift from her father when she had turned sixteen, not too long ago. The light green dress she wore, was simple yet extravagant on her. It cut low on the lacy bodice and hugged her body comfortably.
Libby took a moment to study her face, her lips stained red for tonight and her eyes some how grabbed her attention, the unnatural color of her blue eyed portrayed shock in most men. Libby blicked and sighed. For the first time that day, she left her room to join her father and the poor Lord, Duke, or Price he thought worthy of her hand in marriage.

Gliding through her father's castle Libby thought of an excuse to leave tonight's dinner, a headache, she supposed but felt as if she has over used that one, bellyache? Overused. With a huff Libby limply pushed open the door and strode in with a false smile on her face.
“Why,my father, what charming lord have you brought to my feet this time?” Libby said, looking at her father, his green eyes joyful and his golden hair shining underneath his gold crown like a halo.
“Only the best, my sweet. The best in all my kingdom of the Fray!” he boomed where he sat the the end of the Great Table.
“You're too modest, my King, please, I'm not the best in the Fray.” A deep velvet like voice mused behind Libby. She whirled around, her curls spreading out, to face a handsome yet dark boy of about seventeen winters. The dark boy grabbed hold of her right hand and gently kissed her fingers, “my lady.” he whispered seductively, as hid gray eyes looked up at her from her tingling finger tips.
Libby could feel the heat licking at her neck and face. The young lord smiled slightly, she saw, before she strode down the length of the Great Table to sit next to her father, soon after the lord sat next to her. Almost immediately the rest of the quests flowed in like a rushing river, taking seat after seat until the Great Table was filled the room was loud with the voices of those who sat at it. Libby could feel the presence of the lord next to her as she sipped her wine carefully. To her left her father stood up and the Great Hall quieted, Libby whispered a thanks to God for reliving her from a monstrous headache for later.
“Fellow friends of the Fray and beyond, I welcome you to the Great Dinner tonight to present my daughter, Princess Libby, and her guest, Prince Matthew of Shaddin!” The Great Hall erupted with applause as the King gestured for Libby and Matthew to stand. The lord beside Libby stood. He was a prince! Not a lord, Prince of Shaddin, lord Price has come a long way to the Fray to see Princess Libby.
After her father's embarrassing introduction, Libby faced Prince Matthew. Her blue eyes wide with curiosity, she met his gray eyes and almost gasped at the intensity of his gaze, she blinked.
“Lord Prince, forgive me for staring,I- my manners have slipped for the moment,” Libby flustered, she stared at her lap instead.
“Forgiven, Lady Libby,” Lord Price said, his seductive voice filling her ears as she savored the sound. Cheeks growing read she sipped at her wine again, the feel of her guest's eyes on her like a cat. Disturbed by being watched like that she glanced at him.
“Please stop watching me like that!” she hissed, locking eyes with him.
“Like what,” He cocked an eyebrow, “my lady?”
“Like I'd kill you the moment you turn your back, Lord Prince.”
“Oh?” He seemed amused. “I see I've distressed you,” He offered no apology, the nerve.
“Yes, Lord Price, you have.” He must have been blind could he not see her fuming, the rudeness irked her.
“I've come a long way to see you, my lady”
“Is that so?” Libby said tersely
“Indeed it is, wonder why I've come to you?”
“Why else? Like all the other fools, to ask for my hand in marriage. Well you can forget it.”
“No my lady.” Libby was taken aback, not here for her hand?
“No?!” Libby instantly closed her mouth, her manners herself seemed to not be present.
“Why else are you here then, Lord Prince?” Libby pressed, anxious about his answer.
“To protect you,” Prince Matthew answered in a tone Libby was displeased of.
“Haven't I enough protection? Prince Matthew? With my father's army at my command to fight to save my life?” Libby narrowed her eyes. She felt uneasy about this Prince Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment