Thursday, July 22, 2010

Time to Have Fun



I glanced up at the sound of my dorm room door creaking open.
“Sorry to disturb,” whispered Allen, my roommate.
“No prob.” I smiled warmly and went back to her essay.
“Mr. Miles cramming you with homework?” Allen asked.
“Papers that go miles high!” I chuckled. I put my pencil down, and watched Allen take out her pajamas.
Allen laid down on her bed, looking at the Usher poster tacked on the ceiling above her bed. I sighed and looked at my watch; 10:53 pm. I needed to at least finish my last page of my essay to have it complete before winter break is over. College is fun but for Allen, the boys were funner. I don't really take much interest in boys. It is the boys that take notice in me, Allen does too. She is always trying to get me to wear all this tight things, tight jeans, shirts she even tried to get me to wear makeup... gave me a tutorial on how to use and eyeliner and all that makeup stuff.
The only boy I talked to is my best friend Jeremy. He counted as a guy, but he doesn't like me like that. At least he has never showed anything. Allen thinks that Jeremy is cute, even though she has a perfectly good boyfriend. Jeremy was the only guy I actually liked, but not more than a friend. As I told you I don't take much notice in guys.
“Hmm...break. Allen has an idea!”Allen said, propping her head up with her hand.
“Clara doesn't want to hear if boys are involved.” That was the truth, I didn't want to hear anything about boys at this moment.
“It doesn't”
“Continue.”
“Kay... Trinity is having a holiday bash at her house, wanna come?”
“I'm assuming that this bash is an all girl party,” I said. Allen sighed.
“Um...no,” she finally said.
“Well then I am not going.” I went back to the essay.
“But Clara!” She whined, “Come on, you are not in third grade anymore! Look at you! Your pretty and smart, all guys want you, yet, you hide your self under all that...junk.” Allen looked proud on what she said to me. My responses to all of Allen's party invitations was always the same, “Your type of fun is just a waste of my time.” I snapped and Allen left it like that, me having the last words. Even though she wanted them.
The day of the party arrived and I watched Allen in her silk, expensive, red dress. Only for a moment I wished it was me in that dress. I knew I would have rocked that dress. I wanted to ask Allen if she could pick out a cute outfit as hers so I can join her. But I kept quiet. Turns out I didn't have to ask. Allen was laying out another outfit. A pair of dark, stressed jeans, black heelless boots, black V-neck blouse, and a white vest.
Allen looked at me and threw a piece of paper. I caught it and placed it in my lap. Allen wordlessly stepped out of the door and before she closed it she nodded towards the outfit sprawled out neatly on her bed. “In case you change your mind,” she said and closed the door. I glanced at my alarm clock, it flashed 6:21pm. Then I opened the note from Allen.
5555 Schyler st. (Trinity's)

A couple hours passed and I started to feel board. I had finished my essay and hour ago and I had nothing left to do except read an old book I found laying around. That wasn't the only thing bothering me. The silence. It was giving me a headache. I sighed heavily and turned on the shower. The sound of the running water broke the silence. When the water got warmed up I got in. the next thing I knew I was in front of the mirror in the bathroom with Allen's chosen clothing for me.
I looked incredible. Like a runway model, but that sounded way to full of myself. I opened the drawer and smiled as I found Allen's stash of makeup and gum. I didn't do anything too complicated, in fear that I would end up looking like a clown. I settled with a little blush, a dab of lipstick, and some eyeshadow. Feeling giddy, nervous and satisfied, I took my car keys and walked to my car. Smiling at anyone I passed.
I arrived at the party after spend what seemed like hours finding a parking spot. Everything was lit up with Christmas lights, people were both inside or outside, many with Santa hats or reindeer antlers. A few boys who I knew nodded at me, smiling their faces off. After wandering around Trinity's house Allen found me.
“Clara?” Allen left her boyfriends side and came up to me. “Clara? Is that actually you?” I nodded, Allen was drawing attention to us, people were swerving their heads, their eyes boggling. Allen stared at me. “You did a great job with your makeup! You look...outstanding! Man... you make me feel jealous.” Allen laughed, I glanced around me. Say something! I thought furiously at myself.
“It feels...weird. Being all dressed up like this. I feel like I'm exposed or something, truthfully it feels different.” I felt a tug on my hand, I looked behind me and say Jeremy, looking at me with a grin on his face. I knew that grin, it meant that he liked something. Oh god... not me, oh Jeremy please don't have feelings for me. I pleaded in my head. “Hey you,” he said, pulling me into a hug. I could feel myself blush. Oh god. Not me too. I can't possibly like my best friend! I felt like running and not stopping. Allen left us to be with her own sweetheart, people turned away going back to whatever they where doing. A slow but fun beat filled the room. I recognized it as “Fireflies” by Owl City.
“Wanna dance?” Jeremy asked, his hand reaching towards mine. I slowly nodded blushing even harder as her pulled me close and his hand laid on my waist. We swayed back and forth, twirled, and laughed. By the end of the song I felt so happy. The next song came on and Jeremy and I danced together. We got lots of looks when we bumped into other people dancing but we just laughed and kept dancing. Eventually the songs and laughter died down. Jeremy and I went to the backyard, it was huge, and empty. I would feel worried if I wasn't so pumped up and happy. Out of the blue I broke into a run, laughing crazily, my long hair breezing behind me. Jeremy broke into a run after me. Before long he caught me, and down we fell.
“Oof!” I hit the ground first, Jeremy landed on me but his fore arm caught the ground before he could squish me underneath him. We laughed and then suddenly we stopped. His face came closer to mine, I closed my eyes, waiting, and surprisingly wanting him to kiss me. And he did, short and sweet. He sat up and helped me up.
“Wow,” I breathed.
“I know right?” Jeremy chuckled, “You look like you got hit my a truck.”
“I did! You!” I broke in laughter again. I ran my hand through my hair and brushed off the grass. When we got inside it fell quiet, people stared looking at Jeremy and me, hand in hand. Some smiled, some just stared, and some one whispered, “You guys look like you got ran over by a truck...” Jeremy and I laughed hysterically. Allen got to us and,again, people went back to what they were doing.

When I woke up a week later, with a smile on my face. Allen let me borrow her clothes and as I fixed my bed my cell phone rang, it was Jeremy I felt myself blush and I answered.
“Hullo?”
“Hey girl, wanna come out of your room for a moment?” He asked
“Sure.” I hung up and opened it, and sure enough there he was. Looking more handsome than ever, naturally I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed. He looked into my eyes. “I love you,” he whispered.
“I thought you would never say that.” I told him and lunged into a kiss again. Melting into his arms. Never thinking I would want anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment